AFTER a spate of abdications of late in Europe it was perhaps no surprise when Spain’s King Juan Carlos called it a day.
After all his popularity rating has sunk to an all time low as his family has become embroiled in a series of scandals.
In Britain however, a rush of popularity for William and Kate and Prince Harry, has put serious pressure on the Queen to take a hint from other vacating elderly monarchs and make way for the younger generation.
It is strange that although two thirds of Spaniards are demanding a referendum, only 36% said they would get rid of the monarchy in a vote.
Perhaps we don’t want to scrap Europe’s monarchies after all and all we really need is younger monarchs.
Ones that can keep up with our smart-phone, celebrity-fuelled society.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44