By Joe Chivers
THE BBC is broadcasting a three-hour show live from Almunecar this week to commemorate one of Britain’s most popular writers.
To mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of Cider With Rosie author Laurie Lee, BBC Radio Gloucestershire will be broadcasting their mid-morning show from the town on June 26.
Almunecar was the final destination of his epic trek from his childhood home of Slad, Gloucestershire, as chronicled in his book As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning.
To celebrate the adventure, journalist Chris Baxter has recreated Laurie’s walk from Slad to Southampton from June 23-25, before coming to the Axarquia.
“Our re-creation of parts of his walk will compare life then and now,” he explained.
“When we reach Spain we’ll reflect the commemorations in Almunecar and meet the people who knew him and were inspired by him.”
The show can be heard on June 26 from 10AM to 1PM.
- Nutella prices to soar as world hazelnut crop suffers adverse weather - 16 Aug, 2014 @ 15:00
- Venezuelan woman arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine in fake breasts - 15 Aug, 2014 @ 13:31
- Marbella’s Starlite festival welcomes back Julio Iglesias for the third year in a row - 14 Aug, 2014 @ 15:02
- PICTURE SPECIAL: Andalucia’s top five natural swimming pools - 12 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s Felipe VI and Prime Minister Rajoy discuss escalating Ebola concerns - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 15:41
- Socialist culture secretary hits out at new taxes - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 12:00
- Leading economist to head investing talk at Benalmadena cycle event - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s crippling unemployment may be on the up - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain urged to issue 50-year bond to help fill coffers - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s top SEO companies - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00