By Joe Chivers
THE livelihoods of hundreds of donkeys are in danger, after the closure of a popular sanctuary in the Axarquia.
In a move which will shock and sadden many, the Nerja Donkey Sanctuary is to close at the end of this month.
The donkeys will be separated and most of them carted off to new homes.
However, several are still without a new home to move into with just a week to go, while other animals such as pigs, a horse, cats and dogs face an uncertain future.
The sanctuary has been operating since 2004, and was popular with visitors and residents alike.
It has twice been awarded a Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence, in 2013 and 2014, although it currently lacks the necessary licenses to remain open.
A spokesman for the sanctuary told the Olive Press that the cost of finding a new location and getting a licence would cost an estimated €10,000, beyond the budget of the small volunteer-run organisation.
Harriet Horne, the owner of the sanctuary, described the decision as ‘a very emotional choice’ and thanked all the supporters.
“We would not have lasted as long as we have without this support and many animals have benefited as a result.”
The sanctuary still requires donations to pay off any debts and to ensure a smooth last few days.
To donate or offer an animal a home, visit www.nerjadonkeysanctuary.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nutella prices to soar as world hazelnut crop suffers adverse weather - 16 Aug, 2014 @ 15:00
- Venezuelan woman arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine in fake breasts - 15 Aug, 2014 @ 13:31
- Marbella’s Starlite festival welcomes back Julio Iglesias for the third year in a row - 14 Aug, 2014 @ 15:02
- PICTURE SPECIAL: Andalucia’s top five natural swimming pools - 12 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s Felipe VI and Prime Minister Rajoy discuss escalating Ebola concerns - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 15:41
- Socialist culture secretary hits out at new taxes - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 12:00
- Leading economist to head investing talk at Benalmadena cycle event - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s crippling unemployment may be on the up - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain urged to issue 50-year bond to help fill coffers - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s top SEO companies - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00