WITH the World Cup nearing its grand finale, spare a thought for the 35% of Olive Press readers who backed either Spain or England to win.
Exactly a quarter of the more than a hundred who voted in out poll predicted Spain would retain the trophy in Brazil. While an optimistic 10% plumped for England.
However, the most fancied team was hosts Brazil at 27%, and they take on Colombia in the quarter final this evening.
A further 13% predicted Argentina to go all the way and cause huge embarrassment for their Brazilian neighbours, and as it stands a certain Lionel Messi has been enough to lead them to a quarter final clash with Belgium.
Outsiders Iran were backed by 4% of Olive Press readers, but Carlos Queiroz’s men struggled to make an impact on the tournament, and didn’t make it out of a tough group.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44