BUDDING footballers left on the proverbial scrapheap have been given a second chance at making it, by a new football club on Gibraltar.
Europa Point FC offers opportunities to those who have their professional footballing dreams dashed after devoting their childhood to the game.
The club aims to act as a stepping stone for under-18s who have been released from English clubs, and will provide them with the opportunity to play in competitive adult games.
And if they can really play, there is even the prospect of European football awaiting since Gibraltar became a full UEFA member.
“This is an incredible chance for young players who have been cast aside to come to Gibraltar and rebuild their careers in the league here,” said John Gontier, the club chairman.
Sunborn Yacht Hotel – Gibraltar’s new 5-star floating hotel – has been unveiled as the official shirt sponsor.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44