ENVIRONMENTAL NGOs are lobbying the Spanish government to reduce the use of pesticides in farming.
The Vivo Sano Foundation and the Fund for the Protection of Environmental Health (Fodesam) have proposed a 30% cut-back by 2020.
Both organisations have requested meetings with the Ministry of Agriculture to pursue their demands.
They claim the extensive use of pesticides in farming is creating significant health and environmental risks – including the pollution of drinking water.
According to a report by the NGOs, 66% of Spaniards are concerned about pesticide residues in food.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05