GAUDI’S unfinished Sagrada Familia may finally be completed… in ice. But you’ll have to travel to Finland to see it.
Although the original basilica in Barcelona remains only one-quarter completed and has technically been ‘on ice’ since 1882, a group of Dutch university students plan to create their own 40-metre high model out of pykrete – ice reinforced with wood fibers – in just three weeks.
Built on a scale of 1:4, members of the team from Eindhoven University of Technology visited Barcelona earlier this year to study the real Sagrada Familia, and are in contact with the basilica’s project architects.
They will start their reconstruction in Juuka, Finland, on December 28 for a grand unveiling on January 17, 2015.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44