THE ‘Modfather’ Paul Weller stole the show as Spain’s most famous music festival Benicassim celebrated its 20th anniversary.
The star of the weekend, according to El Pais, Weller – who is a regular visitor to Andalucia – wowed fans with a frenetic set.
Described as the ‘Godfather of Brit Pop’, by the paper, he played a series of his most famous songs, including Start, from his Jam days and My Ever Changing Moods, by the Style Council.
A very British line up – and thousands of UK punters – helped make the festival a huge success.
Kasabian, The Libertines, Lily Allen and Ellie Goulding all took their turns at entertaining the 60,000-strong crowd at Benicassim.
Among the most popular festivals on the international circuit, ‘Beni’, as it is often known, has always been a big hit with Brits due to its nearby beaches and with good weather, normally guaranteed.
An incredible 55% of partygoers come from the UK and Ireland.
‘Beni’ – which is organised by Briton Melvin Benn – has seen some of the UK’s biggest bands gracing its stage over the years, including Blur, Franz Ferdinand and Oasis.
Luckily for organisers, the festival didn’t succumb to the summer fire risks this year – unlike in 2009, when a giant fire threatened the camping grounds and stopped a number of performances going ahead.
- Nutella prices to soar as world hazelnut crop suffers adverse weather - 16 Aug, 2014 @ 15:00
- Venezuelan woman arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine in fake breasts - 15 Aug, 2014 @ 13:31
- Marbella’s Starlite festival welcomes back Julio Iglesias for the third year in a row - 14 Aug, 2014 @ 15:02
- PICTURE SPECIAL: Andalucia’s top five natural swimming pools - 12 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s Felipe VI and Prime Minister Rajoy discuss escalating Ebola concerns - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 15:41
- Socialist culture secretary hits out at new taxes - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 12:00
- Leading economist to head investing talk at Benalmadena cycle event - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s crippling unemployment may be on the up - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain urged to issue 50-year bond to help fill coffers - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s top SEO companies - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00