A BRITISH boxing champion has been shot in Estepona in what is believed to be a drug or gang related crime.
Jamie Moore – the former European light-middleweight champion – was rushed to Costa del Sol hospital after being shot twice in the early hours of Sunday morning, once in the knee and once in the groin.
Moore, 36, from Manchester, is believed to be linked to the Irish family Kinahan, a clan based on the Costa del Sol, currently under a judicial investigation in Spain.
The Unit for Drugs and Organised Crime are now investigating the case, while Moore recovers in hospital under an armed guard.
Moore – a father-of-two who currently works in a Marbella gym – is allegedly readying himself for a fight with a former rival, who could also be linked to the Kinahan clan.
The shooting happened outside the home of one of the children of Christopher Kinahan, reportedly known as the Irish Godfather.
The Kinahan’s first came to the attention of Spanish police during Operation Shovel, which saw the arrest of 31 people across Ireland, the UK and Spain, focusing on the Costa del Sol.
Moore won the European title in 2009 and was tipped to take the world title before retiring in 2010 on doctors’ advice.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05