THE British Consulate in Madrid has joined the offensive against sexual attacks in Spanish holiday hotspots.
Will Middleton, the British consular director for Spain, instigated a series of dramatic posters warning British tourists how to stay safe on nights out.
‘Keep an eye on your drink: It only takes a second for your night out to turn into a nightmare’, reads one.
The posters were to be put up, initially, around the tourist hotspot of Ibiza.
However the scheme has been temporarily shelved after Ibiza’s tourist industry shockingly silenced the warning.
Hoteliers insisted that the posters sent out the wrong signals during peak season.
Ibiza’s councillor for tourism, Carmen Ferrer, called for an immediate retraction of the posters because ‘they caused deep alarm’.
The consulate warning came just days after the Olive Press launched it’s own campaign into drink spiking, which has led to numerous sexual assaults and rapes around the country.
Our campaign – Smash the Spiking – followed an in depth investigation into attacks in Spain’s key holiday destinations. Our investigation revealed a complete absence of official statistics in Spain regarding reports of drink-spiking – from police, hospitals and town halls – despite reports that this type of crime is on the increase.
The Olive Press’ aims are simple: more statistics, better policing, clearer advice.
We are currently in communication with the British consul, town halls in Marbella, Estepona, Mijas and Fuengirola, as well as police at a local and national level in order to pursue the campaign and make conditions safer for Spain’s tourists.
‘I think it is a very important issue,” said Anette Skou, of the Mijas Town Hall foreigners’ department. The paper is also working in conjunction with Nicole King at Marbella Town Hall’s official radio station MiMarbella. The UK Foreign Office states that 110 Brits in two years have reported a sexual assault in Spain.
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36
- Learn the slopes with Sierra Nevada’s dedicated English ski school - 31 Dec, 2018 @ 13:33
- Two Andalucia villages make it onto list of Spain’s seven rural wonders - 30 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00