MORE than 65,000 people have signed a petition calling for an end to ‘cruel and painful’ pony carousels.
Expat animal lover Michael Owens took his petition, totalling 65,556 signatures, to Mijas Town Hall in an attempt to end the practice in Mijas, La Cala de Mijas, and Las Lagunas.
Pony carousels are banned in the region, but La Cala’s feria allegedly still featured one, with several animals trudging around the same small circle until well into the morning.
When locals voiced concerns, Owens, 76, leapt into action, drawing on his experience taken from a previous campaign against the controversial donkey rides in Mijas.
The campaigner gathered signatures from every corner of the globe, posting the petition on the U.S.-based petition platform Care2.com.
With such a strong backing behind him, Owens took the 2.507 page petition to Mijas mayor – also his close friend – Angel Nozal. It has now been officially submitted to the Oficina de Registro system and is being investigated. In the meantime, local residents are in uproar, including Alora resident Pat Woodley, who told the Olive Press that she was ‘shocked’ when she heard the carousels were still occurring.
“I am in favour of the strongest possible protest against this blatant cruelty,” said animal enthusiast Woodley.
- Is your home in Spain ready for the cold? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:30
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06