SPAIN will face their toughest test at this year’s FIBA basketball World Cup when they tip off with Brazil in Granada tonight.
The hosts go in to the game in good form, having dispatched with group A opponents Iran 90-60 before demolishing Egypt 91-54.
The home nation were back to full strength against the Egyptians after the influential Serge Ibaka missed their opener with Iran.
In Ibaka’s absence Pau Gasol scored 33 points against the Iranians before the big man returned to top-scored with 18 points of his own.
Brazil will no doubt prove Spain’s biggest test so far, having also won their opening two fixtures, edging out European champions France 65-63 and overcoming Iran 79-50.
La Roja will be looking to avenge the sides last meeting at the London Olympics in 2012 where Brazil ran out 88-82 winners in their group match. Spain went on to reach the final then, narrowly loosing to the USA.
Though Iran kept it interesting throughout the first half, Pau Gasol proved to be too much. With 33 points in his FIBA return, the elder Gasol brother led his talent-filled team to their first, of what will likely be many blowout victories.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36