THE parents of Ashya King are expected to face an extradition hearing in Madrid on Tuesday following their arrest on Saturday.
Brett King, 51, and his wife Naghemeh, 45, fled to Spain with their five-year-old boy who has a brain tumour, leaving Southampton general hospital without consent.
They were found by police and arrested on Saturday night after a Europe-wide hunt following doctors’ claims his life was in danger.
His father claimed they took him out of the hospital in England because they wanted him to have proton beam therapy, a specific treatment which was not available in the UK.
The parents, who are Jehovah’s witnesses, have not seen their son since the arrest at a hostel in Benajarafe.
Brett King appeared on a 10-minute YouTube video explaining why the family took Ashya from the hospital and asked the police to ‘call off this ridiculous chase’.
Interpol had sent out a missing persons alert to its 190 member countries as concerns for the boy’s welfare grew since he was removed from hospital by his parents on Thursday, August 28.
An online petition demanding the release of the Kings has gathered more than 3,400 signatures.
His older brother Naveed has posted a YouTube video arguing that the family did care properly for Ashya while travelling.
He has also set up a donation page after being inundated with support, which has already raised more than £1,500.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44