RACE favourite Nairo Quintana crashed at the Vuelta a Espana as Spain’s Alberto Contador raced into the lead.
Stage 10’s 6.7km time trial from Real Monasterio de Santa Maria de Veruela to Borja was won by Germany’s Tony Martin, but it was the Colombian’s untimely crash that stole the attention.
Quintana lost three minutes and 28 seconds on the stage to Contador after he crashed into road barriers and went over his handlebars. The Colombian was slow to get up before getting on a spare bike to resume the race.
Alejandro Valverde had another solid ride and sits second overall – 27 seconds behind his compatriot – and is still in contention for the red jersey.
Two more home cyclists remain in the top 10 with Joaquim Rodriguez and Samuel Sanchez in sixth and seventh place respectively.
Today’s stage 11 stretches 153km from Pamplona to Santuario de San Miguel de Aralar.
Stage 10 results:
1. Tony Martin (Ger/Omega Pharma-Quick-Step) 47:02″
2. Rigoberto Uran (Col/Omega Pharma-Quick-Step) +15″
3. Fabian Cancellara (Swi/Trek) +18″
4. Alberto Contador (Spa/ Tinkoff-Saxo) +39″
5. Samuel Sanchez (Spa/BMC) +48″
6. Cadel Evans (Aus/BMC) +49″
7. Vasil Kiryienka (Blr/Team Sky) +58″
8. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar) +1:01″
9. Jesse Sergent (NZ/Trek) +1:13″
10. Chris Froome (GB/Team Sky) +1:32″
Overall classification after stage 10:
1. Alberto Contador (Spa/ Tinkoff-Saxo) 36:45:49″
2. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar) +27″
3. Rigoberto Uran (Col/Omega Pharma-Quick-Step) +59″
4. Winner Anacona (Col/Lampre) +1:12″
5. Chris Froome (GB/Team Sky) +1:18″
6. Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa/Katusha) +1:37″
7. Samuel Sanchez (Spa/BMC) +1:41″
8. Fabio Aru (Ita/Astana) +2:27″
9. Robert Gesink (NED/Belkin) +2:38″
10. Damiano Caruso (Ita/Cannondale) +2:59″