SLEEPING in a cell for a couple of nights is not a pleasant experience, whichever way you look at it.
When this happens, however, there is still controversy in Spain as to whether a lawyer can actively participate in police station interrogations, as we often see in American films.
Spanish Criminal Procedural laws establish that a lawyer can be present, at the request of the detainee, when they are being informed of the charges leading to his detention and when being read his rights (among others, the right of foreigners to contact their Consulate).
It is generally not allowed, however, for a lawyer to provide counsel at the time of arrest.
Where the police conduct inquiries with the detainee, a lawyer is to be present and according to article 520.6 c) of the Criminal Procedure Act, is allowed ‘a reserved conversation with his detainee’.
It is this last point that has been a bone of contention between law societies and police forces, across the country, once again due to an imprecise wording of the law.
According to the police, current laws do not envisage a prior interview between the lawyer and the detainee; law societies, and some judges, however, express their opposition by stating that lawyers cannot be a ‘convidado de piedra’ – or a stone guest – in the sense of Pushkin’s poetic drama.
Once again, the result of the lawmaker’s poor legal drafting.
- Personal data laws in Spain are about to get a lot more complicated - 16 Sep, 2018 @ 09:38
- Does Sharia Law have any standing in Spain when it comes to inheritance? - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 09:04
- New squatting rules in Spain drastically speed up the eviction process - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 11:51
- Financial experts blast Spain’s tax office as a ‘bully’ which turns taxpayers into ‘tax servants’ - 26 May, 2018 @ 17:42
- The costly experience of using a phony driver’s licence writes Antonio Flores - 12 May, 2018 @ 16:31
- Should you buy a Spanish resale property without a license of occupation? - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spanish law change is affecting those living in the Costa del Sol - 21 Jan, 2018 @ 10:48
- Bilbao court ruling threatens void agreements without valid licences - 26 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- BEWARE: What expats need to know about investment funds in Spain - 20 Nov, 2017 @ 09:48
- Leading lawyer breaks down the impact Catalunya will have on private business contracts - 12 Oct, 2017 @ 11:22