A MASSIVE upsurge in exports of its top product has given cause for celebration in Spain’s olive oil capital of Jaen.
The city will host an industry conference in September in honour of the province having quadrupled its year-on-year olive oil exports.
Andalucia is the leading exporter of agricultural food and drinks, comprising 25% of the national total, with olive oil exports from Jaen valued at €148 million.
Spain produces 50% of the world’s olive oil, with 73% of that coming from the province of Andalucia. In 2013 olive oil exports from the region were worth €1.5 billion.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05