THE largest organic and gourmet supermarket in Andalucia has opened on the outskirts of Marbella.
Family-run Chipolino Natural in Benahavis, on the Ronda road, between the Pharmacy and Opencor in Monte Halcones Shopping Centre, just two minutes’ drive north of the Autopista, is stocking everything from non biological washing powder to organic pet food.
Its 250 square metres are also packed with vegetables, herbs, milk, fresh meat and fish.
“We aim to get Marbella locals eating well and there is a definite drift, albeit slow, to healthy organic food,” explained owner Rafael Vicuña, 58. The Basque father-of-three launched the business after working for many years in the US and Mexico, as a constructor.
“I got interested in organic food when I discovered how much rubbish people ate in Mexico. It is the same here, yet in Andalucia, you can buy the best quality produce in the world, if you can just get hold of it,” he added. “Sadly too much of it gets sent abroad. We hope to change that.”
Vicuña, whose wife is Russian, hopes to champion small, local producers and soon set up a website to buy online.
His sister Jovita – wife of Marbella estate agent Panorama Properties boss Christopher Clover – is also a parter in the venture.
Contact 952 799 401 for info
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05