THE ex-wife of former Marbella mayor Julian Munoz has begun her jail sentence after being found guilty of involvement in his money-laundering scheme.
Maite Zaldivar has been sentenced to two-and-a-half-years for helping ex-husband Munoz launder money, illicitly obtained from Marbella Town Hall during his time as mayor.
Munoz was married to Zaldivar until 2003, when he left her to begin a relationship with Spanish singing star Isabel Pantoja,
All three members of the complicated love trial have now received jail sentences for their involvement in the scheme.
Zaldivar will serve her sentence at the central penitentiary of Alhaurin de la Torre in Malaga, where she arrived on Monday night, accompanied by her partner and their two daughters.
As well as the prison time, Zaldivar has been ordered to pay a €1.7 million fine.
If she is unable to afford the fine, a further six months will be added to her sentence.
Sevilla-born Pantoja is facing two years, with a €1.2 million fine, but with no previous criminal record she may be granted a possible suspension of the sentence.
Both women were aware of the illegality of the money, according to the court.
The judge is due to make a decision on Pantoja’s sentence in the coming weeks.
Munoz is currently serving a six-and-a-half year sentence for money-laundering and bribery.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05