Exclusive by Tom Powell
IT began as an idyllic mountain walk for one expat family, with their two daughters, 7 and 11, and their Pomeranian dog, Montgomery.
But happiness quickly turned to horror when a local man viciously attacked their dog, leaving it unconscious and unlikely to ever walk again.
The couple, Swede Isabel Saunders-Lagrilliere and Canadian husband Michael, have now denounced the 70-something Spanish pensioner, who smashed the dog’s head with a rock after it frightened his chickens.
They have called in police and a lawyer after spending a hefty €2,000 on the veterinary bill, which ‘only just’ saved his life.
However, the court case is expected to be at least a year away.
“We were all in a terrible state of shock, and it’s a miracle our dog survived at all,” Saunders-Lagrilliere told the Olive Press. “This man must learn what he did was wrong.”
The two-year-old animal had been attacked while the family were on a walk between Bubion and Pampaneira in the Alpujarras.
The couple, who run a mountain bike company, were half way along the walk when they came across some large chickens and Montgomery started barking.
“We were all amused by the charming rurality of it until suddenly, without any warning, an old man ran out from the bushes and hurled a large rock at his head from less than a metre away,” she continued.
“Monty fell to the ground unconscious, bleeding profusely from his nose.”
The farmer then picked up another large rock and took aim again, only for their 11-year-old daughter to heroically crouch over the dog to protect him.
The dog was hospitalised for six days, two of which he was in a coma after his heart stopped beating for four minutes. He may never regain full movement.
The family, who live in Marbella but own a holiday home in Bubion, denounced the attacker to police in Orgiva, and an investigation is currently underway.
The children are now frightened to return to their home, while their father is currently unable to cycle after sustaining a knee injury in the attack.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44