HOSTELS are places traditionally associated with grubby dorms, filthy bathrooms and trying to sleep through the sound of a room-full of snoring strangers.
But now a new type of posh hostel – ‘poshtels’ – is emerging for the classy yet budget-conscious traveler.
The poshtel is expected to go from strength to strength this year, after being proposed as a key trend for 2015 at this month’s World Travel Market.
And two of Europe’s top ten can be found here in Spain, according to hotel comparison website trivago.co.uk.
Casa Gracia, in Barcelona, is renowned for its stylish yet homely atmosphere in the authentic Gracia neighbourhood of the Catalan capital. Rooms cost as little as €46.
“The hostel’s extensive range of suites are decorated in an understated yet elegant way and many come with private en-suite bathrooms,” explains Trivago.
Meanwhile, U Hostel, in the centre of Madrid, combines all the features of a modern hostel with minimalist decoration, and is located in a restored 19th-century palace. Rooms again cost less than €50.
“U Hostel offers guests contemporary comfort with refreshing splashes of colour. Visitors can sunbathe on the roof terrace, chill out in the cosy cinema room or socialise in the fully-equipped kitchen.”
Elsewhere, Clink78 hostel in London can be found in a 200-year-old courthouse while Finland’s Tampere hostel boasts an elegant Nordic design.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44