SPAIN’S former super-judge Baltasar Garzon has come to the rescue of one of Andalucia’s most famous flamenco venues.
Garzon, famous for his campaigning legal battles around the world, has stepped in to advise the bosses of institution La Carboneria, after it was slapped with a closure order.
The former judge, who heads controversial Wikileaks boss Julian Assange’s legal team, was in the venue, when police arrived with a month-long shutdown demand.
He immediately stepped in demanding to see the paperwork and vowed to help with the court case.
The iconic venue has been accused of hosting musical events without a licence, and has been fined €2,000.
Although it only holds a basic bar licence, the venue is famous among locals and tourists for its concerts and flamenco shows.
Owner Francisco Lira said: “It is incomprehensible that such a dynamically socio-cultural place that handles all art forms with great care can suffer such punishment.
“We don’t count ourselves as a performance venue because none of the music here is amplified. Here, we only read, recite and sing in acoustic.”
A petition on website change.org to immediately reopen La Carboneria – launched by a former Cordoba University professor – had reached more than 12,000 signatures.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36