A DOG-lover who watched his beloved pet die in agony is urging other owners to be on the look-out for rampant killer caterpillars.
English expat Paul Dobson, 55, could do nothing to save his rottweiler, Louis, after he was fatally poisoned by processionary caterpillars in Velez-Malaga.
Despite three days in intensive care, Louis died from eating the poisonous larvae, which are very active in pine forests during winter months.
“I found my beloved rottie suffocating on his own tongue. He was slobbering profusely and vomiting everywhere,” Dobson said.
“If your dog shows these symptoms get them to a vet. Don’t wait and see what happens, do not waste time ringing, just go!”
Expat vet Jens Klausen told The Olive Press he has seen an increase in the number of poisonous caterpillars over the last three years.
He said: “The hairs are extremely poisonous. If a dog sniffs or eats them then they should immediately be washed with water.
“I have had to remove parts of a dog’s tongue or lips because of this. It really is horrible to see.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36