A BRITISH man has lost his dream of a Costa del Sol home and more than €100,000 after his plot of land was reclaimed and sold at auction.
Ian Cook, 60, bought the plot for €144,000 in 2004, but failed to pay council tax for six years, forcing Mijas Town Hall to take action.
When Cook returned to the land overlooking Mijas Costa, last month, he was horrified to discover an eviction notice on his motorhome, which was still parked on the land.
But it was an even bigger shock to discover that the land had been sold at auction last year for just €14,000.
“I didn’t hear a word while I was in England. I am sure they could have contacted me if they really wanted to.
“With the amount of technology available these days I could have been found. It’s not like I am Osama Bin Laden.”
Cook, originally from Sheffield, will now receive just €8,000 after accounting for the unpaid tax.
A spokesman from Mijas Town Hall insisted it had acted within the law.
He added that the tax department had tried to contact him on a number of occasions but were unable to because he had left no forwarding address and his bank account had been shut down.
“When someone doesn’t pay council tax we send them several notifications before acting further,” he said.
“By law, we also publish their outstanding debts on the online Boletin Oficial del Estado (BoE) register where they can see it.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36