IT was surprisingly warm as I wondered through the streets of the city along with the throng of people.
Such a contrast to the cold, windy and deserted village I left behind.
The previous weekend I spent away, soaking up the winter’s sun in Almeria City, in the company of a few close friends.
We’d been planning this trip a while. It was a very belated birthday celebration for my 21st, something I’ve come to realise that the Spanish don’t make a big fuss off. Nevertheless we had a good time.
A friend suggested we go to an art exhibition. It was free entry and situated in the Centro Andaluz de la Fotografia – a place I never knew existed.
As I walked along the row of different images I felt relaxed.
I spent my whole weekend exploring parts of the city I had never been to before and loved the atmosphere.
On our finally day we all took a walk along the Zapillo beach (a well recommended place to visit if you’re ever in Almeria). The seafront was full of late afternoon walkers enjoying their last hours of the weekend before a new working week began.
I felt envious of them. They got to live in a city where it has culture, beauty and people. Whereas I had to go back to village that is the equivalent to a ghost town.
Every since I got home all I’ve done is think about the city. There was a buzz and I loved that and how you’re a stranger amongst strangers. No one knows your business unless they know you personally.
Plus there’s always something going on.
I didn’t know why I felt so bored, but then I realised that village life just isn’t for me.
I want culture and excitement and a cosmopolitan cocktail!
- Stop blaming Europe - 7 Jun, 2016 @ 22:08
- Europe: In or out? - 8 Mar, 2016 @ 09:24
- Bye bye Mr Negativity - 17 Jan, 2016 @ 18:10
- Humid not hot! - 16 Sep, 2015 @ 16:50
- Don’t mind me, I’m just shy - 11 Jul, 2015 @ 11:26
- San Juan festival in Spain - 8 Jun, 2015 @ 08:44
- Decision time! - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 17:27
- A young cosmopolitan stuck in a Spanish village - 25 Feb, 2015 @ 22:38
- A New Year but same old ways - 6 Jan, 2015 @ 11:39
- Lights, Camera, Action for Almeria! - 26 Nov, 2014 @ 17:14