A DERELICT nature reserve in Cadiz is being nursed back to life by a group of environmentalists.
Home to an eclectic range of wildlife, La Covacha saltpan – at the heart of the Trocadero Island in the Bay of Cadiz – was abandoned in a state of disrepair for decades.
However, its rejuvenation began in February 2014 when the NGO Saltare took over the site.
And now the organisation is looking to turn La Covacha into a biodiverse breeding ground attracting both avian wildlife and bird lovers alike.
“We are aware that birding trips to southern Spain are very popular in the UK and we would be more than happy for groups to visit this part of Cadiz, which is a birding haven,” a Saltare spokesman said.
“We are currently organising a crowdfunding scheme to fund structural improvements needed for La Covacha to welcome small groups of visitors.”
The funds will be used to build a hide, nesting platforms and artificial perches for the osprey and to build a jetty for easier access to the island.
In 2014, La Covacha became the first non-assisted breeding area in the Bahia de Cadiz natural park for a rare species of osprey since it was declared extinct in the wild.
The aim for 2015 is to encourage greater breeding of the osprey and continue the restoration of the natural site.
Visit www.verkami.com/projects and search ‘La Covacha’ for Saltare’s crowdfunding page.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36