JOHN Lennon’s first wife Cynthia died today, aged 75, at her home in Mallorca following a short battle with cancer.
Cynthia Lennon, nee Powell, married John Lennon in 1962 after they met at college. She is the mother of John’s son Julian Lennon.
The couple divorced in 1968 after Lennon left her for Yoko Ono.
A message on Julian Lennon’s website said the family ‘are thankful for your prayers’.
This afternoon Ringo Starr tweeted: ‘Peace and love to Julian Lennon God bless Cynthia love Ringo and Barbara xx.’
Sir Paul McCartney said: ‘The news of Cynthia’s passing is very sad. She was a lovely lady who I’ve known since our early days together in Liverpool.
‘She was a good mother to Julian and will be missed by us all but I will always have great memories of our times together.’
Yoko Ono also wrote a message on her website paying tribute to Cynthia. She wrote: ‘I’m very saddened by Cynthia’s death. She was a great person and a wonderful mother to Julian.
‘She had such a strong zest for life and I felt proud how we two women stood firm in the Beatles family. Please join me in sending love and support to Julian at this very sad time. Love, Yoko Ono.’
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33