AN Italian mobster hiding out on the Costa del Sol has been busted by the Guardia Civil.
Carlo Leone’s six-year run from police came to an end yesterday when Spanish police arrested him in San Pedro de Alcantara.
Detained on an European arrest warrant, Leone is wanted on a number of charges, mostly relating to international drug trafficking.
The 55-year-old was located in the Costa del Sol in February, as part of a joint investigation between Italian and Spanish authorities.
A member of Naples’ Elia clan, Leone was involved in trafficking drugs between South America, Spain and Italy.
And while criminal convictions hung over Leone in Italy, he continued to live a life of luxury on the Costa del Sol.
Inevitably it was his desire for the luxury life that helped police locate him to a bar-restaurant in San Pedro.
Leone was arrested while walking alone in the town and jailed by police, while authorities arrange his extradition to Italy.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36