AmrikSappal, Store Director, Specsavers Opticas Fuengirola
HOW are your eyes feeling this month? It’s no fun when your eyes are sore or itchy and you don’t know why – or what to do about it. So this month we take a look at three common, but uncomfortable, issues.
What is conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis is the most common eye disease in the western hemisphere. It is an inflammation of the conjunctiva which makes the sclera appear reddened due to an increase in blood supply. The eye feels itchy and watery. Sometimes, there is a sticky discharge, which feels uncomfortable and makes vision blurry. Although conjunctivitis is often referred to as ‘pink eye’, this technically only refers to one type of the eye disease, bacterial conjunctivitis. Users of contact lenses should remove them and wear glasses until symptoms recede.
What is blepharitis?
Blepharitis is a persistent inflammation of the eyelids. It is a common problem for both adults and children and may cause some swelling of the lid, itching, irritation or occasionally redness of the eye itself. The condition frequently occurs in those who have a tendency towards oily skin, dandruff or dry eyes. Treatment centres around cleaning the eyelid thoroughly and using a daily routine of warmth, massage and cleansing. Ask your doctor or chemist for more information.
What causes an eye to become watery and how can it be treated?
Watery eyes are most often caused by an increase in the production of tears. This may occur in one eye or both. Watering eyes are usually caused by either excessive production of tears due to irritation of the eye, an allergy or an obstruction of the drainage system which results in the overflow of tears. If you notice that your eyes are often or unusually watery, you should book an eye examination at your optician.
There are Specsavers stores in Fuengirola and Marbella currently offering free eye tests.
If your eyes are sore, or red or you are experiencing discomfort, go to your nearest Specsavers for an eye test or visit www.specsavers.es
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15
- Specsavers: There is a perfect pair of specs for everyone - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 17:36
- A simple eye test can uncover a host of underlying diseases - 8 Feb, 2017 @ 15:30