CELEBRATING 40 years of music making, the concerts, performed in Iglesia de la Encarnacion, given by the choir and Orchestra of Collegiun Musicum Costa del Sol joined by the Camerata Singers of Sotogrande and InCantus from Gibraltar excelled themselves in the sheer joy that they gave to a most appreciative full house.
The evening began with Annamaria Philipps, their director of music, receiving an award for her untiring support of Concordia, made by their president, S.A.R. Ma. Luisa de Prusia, Condesa de Schönburg.
The program opened with Mendelssohn’s beautiful setting of “Hear My Prayer O For The Wings Of A Dove” with Soprano, Samantha Bowling, there followed two movements from Bizet, “L’Arlesienne suite” No.2 (The Girl From Arles) that put the orchestra centre stage.
The main work of the evening was Gounod’s “Messe Solenmelle de Saint Cécile” (paying homage to the patron saint of music) where the soprano was joined by Luis López Navarro, bass-baritone from Marbella, and Gibraltarian Phillip Borge, tenor, to make a most accomplished trio. The work, in seven movements is intended for both church and stage, and as such it embodies lyrical beauty that stands out as one of the finest works of Charles Gounod.
It is a massive undertaking for a music society to take on, but, undaunted Annemarie together with every member of the society has achieved, what I can only describe as a most memorable performance. Annemarie demonstrated yet again, what brilliance she can exhort from each and every one of the some 100 musicians and voices, and they should all be extremely proud of their achievement. Finally the voice of Soloist, Phillip Borge was quite exceptional, and I for one, would look forward to hearing to him again.
The society are always looking for new instrumentalists and singers to join them – to find out more contact the secretary Driekje Lawson email@example.com (Tel: 952 775 492).
Next from Collegium Musicum’s is the Christmas concert – to receive information about this, put your name on their email list. Their web site is www.colmus.org
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36
- Learn the slopes with Sierra Nevada’s dedicated English ski school - 31 Dec, 2018 @ 13:33
- Two Andalucia villages make it onto list of Spain’s seven rural wonders - 30 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00