DOGS will be banned from all beaches on the Costa del Sol this summer following an instruction from the Junta de Andalucia.
The ban will run from June 1 to September 30 and will apply to all beaches – including the specific dog-friendly beaches that have been set up in Casares, Malaga and Fuengirola.
The ruling has been circulated to all 14 coastal municipalities.
Compared to the 450 beaches in the UK or the nearly 200 in France, the number of dog-friendly beaches in Spain is only around 50.
The news has already started a lively debate on the Olive Press’ Facebook page…
Jennifer Knowles: Why make a dog friendly beach and then ban them!?!?!? The Costa Del Sol do not provide many parks and when there are you are not allowed to take your dog and run off the lead. Most people live is apartments with nowhere to take their dog. Lets start thinking of the dogs!
Steve Homer: The problem isn’t the dogs on the beach – it’s the irresponsible owners who let them crap anywhere they like and don’t clean it up, often because they have left them off the leads or they just can’t be arsed (and I have seen all nationalities doing this including the so called dog loving Brits). I’d prefer to see the police enforce fines for those who don’t clear up the mess….or for those who are not carrying sufficient dog mess bags….they should retain the dog friendly areas but it doesn’t mean that they should be allowed to crap there without it being cleaned up. I don’t agree with having dogs on the beach during holiday time.
More to follow…
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33