GIBRALTAR must be ‘more open-minded’ if they are to ever overcome international footballing misery, according to former player Danny Higginbotham.
Scroll down to have your say in our poll…
The no-nonsense defender has called for a return to the policy of recruiting overseas players with Gibraltar links to boost the home-grown crop.
Higginbotham, who was himself called up for Gibraltar due to his maternal grandmother – retired last year after playing in the side’s first three games.
“The population of Gibraltar is only about 28,000 but now, for whatever reason, they seem to have become more closed-minded and they just include players from Gibraltar,” he said on Sky Sports News.
“They were very open minded at first and had a lot of players involved from England.”
“It is all about them opening up again,” he added.
The Gibraltar team went down 4-0 to Ireland and 8-1 to Poland in the most recent round of European qualifiers.
And Higginbotham believes if the management were to scour European leagues for eligible players, they would find many who would ‘jump at the opportunity’ to turn the side’s fortunes around.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44