AN Andalucian train station has been named among Europe’s best… not for its transport links but for its restaurant.
Five stops north of Algeciras, Restaurante La Estacion San Pablo de Buceite, in Jimena de la Frontera, was crowned Spain’s best train station restaurant and made the Guardian’s European top 10, coming in at number eight.
With a ‘reputation for original food at reasonable prices’ the eatery is particularly well known for its mushroom dishes, croquettes and tapas with a twist.
Run by Spaniard Nieves Dominguez and her son Samuel, the duo are self-taught culinary experts.
“When I started I invited all my friends round to try the different dishes and asked them to rate each meal on a scorecard, and that is how I decided on my first menu,” she explained.
“It is important to me that my customers are happy and there is a nice atmosphere.”
Topping the list was 1e Klas, in Amsterdam’s Central station, while Le Train Bleu in Paris and Crystal, in Jungfraujoch, Switzerland made up the top three.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36