THE PARENTS of a young Spanish boy in danger of losing his hand are making a desperate bid to raise cash for his operation.
Cristóbal Pineda Rodríguez, 18, is Andalucia’s champion rock climber, but has been struck down with advanced Kienböck’s disease, which destroys the wrists’ bones.
The operation cannot be done on Spain’s national health service and the only hospital Cristobal’s Manilva-based family can find to perform the surgery is in Barcelona.
The €9,000 cost must be raised by December 29 in order for the operation to go ahead and a campaign to raise the funds by is being backed by the community and all Manilva council’s political parties.
Manilva councillor Dean Shelton said: “I’m pleading for the help of the Costa Del Sol foreign community to help us save our local lad’s future. Rock climbing is his job, his hobby and life.
“His family is not in any financial position to help and the Social Security System is letting him down
“Please help me and the people of Manilva make this lad’s Christmas one to remember.”
Manilva town hall have set up a Facebook campaign page to raise awareness of Cristobal’s plight.
Anyone wishing to contribute towards Cristobal’s operation can donate money to this account: Unicaja ES51 2103 0176 03 0010051657.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00