FOR five decades the Sanchez del Rio family have been running ski shops and teaching on the slopes.
First in Australia and more recently in Spain their company Riosport has been ahead of the game in terms of quality of equipment and expertise.
Set up originally by Alfonso and wife Joan in the Sierra Nevada in 1988, the business is now run by sons Philip and Alexander, both in their 30s.
Based out of two locations, both just yards from the main ski-lifts, they have cleverly cornered the expat and foreign market that makes up around 20% of the resort’s clientele.
“Over 60% of our clients are foreign, at least half of those British and Irish but we have lots of Dutch too,” explains Alexander, who went to school in Granada before studying law at university.
“I put our success with expats down to giving straightforward good service and good quality products,” he continues. “We are not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but above all we know what we are doing.
“We either do things properly or we don’t touch it,” he adds.
One of the area’s the company specialises in is the quality of its boots.
Indeed, Riosport is one of only two dozen places in the world where you can get the top quality, personalised Strolz make of ski boots.
Custom-fitted for the most tricky customers, they almost guarantee not to give you pain. “They are perfect for any foot,” he explains.
• Website: www.riosport.es
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36
- Learn the slopes with Sierra Nevada’s dedicated English ski school - 31 Dec, 2018 @ 13:33
- Two Andalucia villages make it onto list of Spain’s seven rural wonders - 30 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00