JAVIER Mascherano has been handed a one-year suspended prison sentence for tax fraud.
The Argentine defender has also been fined €815,000 for two counts of fiscal crimes committed in 2011 and 2012.
Mascherano was spared jail after admitting the offence and repaying the amount owed as well as a large fine.
The case judge acccepted the request of Mascherano’s lawyer, David Aineto, to suspend the sentence in return for a further fine.
Mascherano said: “I don’t know a lot about legal and financial matters.
“Therefore I must rely on the people that manage these technical, and for me, complicated, issues.
“All my career I have been an honest and responsible person. I will take as another experience which will leave me stronger and calmed by the fact that I am once again within the law.”
Mascherano’s Barcelona and Argentina team-mate, Lionel Messi, is set to appear in court from May 31 to June 3 on tax fraud charges.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00