ALMOST 2,000 people have signed a petition to stop plans for an Iranian oil refinery in Algeciras.
Addressed to Spanish MP Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo, green group Destruccion del Medio Ambiente has launched a change.org petition to stop the action.
And just two days after the petition was launched almost 2,000 have already signed up.
“People who live in Algeciras are tired of pollution” the petition reads. “We already have the highest rate of cancer in this country, so is it really work the money to put more people’s lives at risk.
“Enough is enough, let us breath.”
Earlier this week Margallo said talks were ongoing with Iran, after sanctions were lifted on the country last weekend.
He said: “The refinery would create jobs in the Campo de Gibraltar, which was one of my concerns.
“We’ve been ready to do that in the past with Rosneft, but talks with the Russian company were discontinued as a result of sanctions.
“But Iranian investment can fill the void left and create jobs.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36