IT’S the Gibraltar equivalent of Piccadilly Circus and there is no better place to watch the world go by than on Casemates Square.
For fine dining on the square look no further than Café Solo, while if you are after pub grub then Lord Nelson is a complete winner.
Steak and ale pie is a personal favourite, while the fish and chips and all day breakfast are very popular with hungry visitors.
There are loads of beers on draught and, naturally, all the best sporting events are on the screens.
Another institution, also big on its coffee is Sacarello’s, in Irish Town, which has been serving up a decent brew for nearly two centuries.
A true Gibraltar haunt for morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea or supper, this charming old spot also counts on one of the best private art collections on the Rock.
This is all thanks to current boss Patrick Sacarello, 64, who is a huge art lover and regularly travels to exotic countries to acquire his paintings.
It was his great-grandfather Bartholomew who founded the existing business in 1888, following in the footsteps of his Italian grandfather, a trader, who had arrived on the Rock in 1817.
“Although I studied at a London university, I ended up coming back to coffee because it’s such a beautiful business.”
For a more formal fine dining experience you should head to charming Queensway Quay, a millionaires playground, where houses start at £4.2 million mark.
Here, you will find the excellent Landings restaurant, which has counted John Prescott, First Minister Fabian Picardo and a variety of Coronation Street stars as guests.
“We get a lot of wealthy yachtie types too,” explains owner Ann Hudson, who heralds from the south coast of England.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00