THE Observatorio Espanol contra la LGBTfobia (StopLGBTfobia), asked the Spanish government to take action against the hurlers of homophobic chants during last weekends Barcelona V Real Madrid match.
The chants were reportedly aimed at Christiano Ronaldo during the one minute silence held before the game to honour John Cryuff, the legendary Barca player who died last month.
StopLGBTfobia founder Franciscoo Ramirez released a statement calling for action to be taken against the abuse, which he says is still widespread on Spanish grounds.
“These lamentable and shameful actions are punishable under the Sport law of 2007,” he said.
“For years players and referees have often been insulted using homophobic terms, without there being any public or exemplary punishment. This ends up continuing the presence of homophobia in Spanish football.”
He added that Ronaldo has often been the target of homophobic slurs, and that its continuation is a stain on the sport.
La Liga released a statement saying it will send a report to the Spanish government’s committee against violence, racism, xenophobia and intolerance in sport.
- WATCH: Aircraft and dozens of firefighters called to huge forest fire in Spain’s Andalucia - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44