ONE elderly woman has died and several people may be trapped after a building collapse in Los Cristianos, Tenerife, which has already injured three.
The four-storey building came down at around 9:30am local time, and as many as nine people may now be trapped, according to a local government source.
Three were injured, a man and two women, one of whom is seriously hurt.
It is not known why the building in the town’s centre collapsed or how many people were inside it at the time.
Police evacuated nearby properties in case of a gas leak while firefighters are working to clear the rubble.
A witness reported a loud bang before the building collapsed.
Work that was reportedly being carried out to reopen a business in the building stopped two weeks ago after serious cracks were discovered.
- WATCH: Aircraft and dozens of firefighters called to huge forest fire in Spain’s Andalucia - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44