SOME three decades and three financial crises have been unable to sink Splash Pools in Mijas.
The company has stayed afloat since opening in 1984, when owner Paul Clueit cleaned pools by day and ran a bar in Fuengirola by night.
Eventually becoming a full time job, he was soon joined by his wife and now co-owner Sammi in 1991, and the business has continued to grow and grow by staying at the forefront of the industry’s technology.
“The last crisis was the worst, but since last October business has increased a lot – and we have happily taken on new staff in the last few weeks,” explains Sammi.
“We are always trying things out and something that has been very successful is salt water chlorinators – the salt is turned into a softer form of chlorine that makes the water much nicer to swim in, it doesn’t smell like normal chlorine and is very good for people with skin problems.”
She adds:: “We are also lucky to have great pool maintenance and construction teams, some have worked for us for over 15 years and the technician is often mistaken for Paul’s son!”
Sammi admits running a family business can be fraught, at times, but they have found their own unique methods to cool down.
Paul escapes by playing the piano and saxophone while Sammi works it out in the gym. They also like spending time travelling, particularly in the Cadiz province.
- WATCH: Aircraft and dozens of firefighters called to huge forest fire in Spain’s Andalucia - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44