THE Olive Press has been named the best expat newspaper in Spain and the second most popular in the world.
The accolade follows a poll of tens of thousands of expats from more than 90 different countries.
The Expat Survey Consumer Awards asked 27,000 expatriates worldwide to vote for their favourite blog, magazine, newspaper, website and radio station.
“It’s brilliant news, it’s great to have the recognition after working so hard,” Publisher and Editor of the Olive Press Jon Clarke said, “It’s pretty amazing considering how young the paper is as we will be celebrating just our tenth anniversary this year. The whole team deserves a pat on the back.”
The Olive Press came second to France’s Connexion, while third went to Round Town News, which has been operating on Spain’s Costa Blanca for more than 30 years.
The Olive Press, which began printing in 2006, is best known for its investigative work in the Andalucia region of southern Spain, and last September set up an additional paper to cover the British territory of Gibraltar.
Publishing consultant for the paper Clive Jacques said: “This is a brilliant good news story for us. At times the paper is accused of mainly highlighting bad news, but it is good for the readers and advertisers to know the Olive Press is officially the second most popular in the world, and the number one expat paper in Spain. ”
The awards are described as an opportunity for expatriates to nominate and commend the work of media owners and service providers that ‘add value to their lives’.
The award for best blog went to expat.com, best newsletter to The Telegraph, best magazine to the Economist, best radio station to Talksport and best news website to Angloinfo.com.
See the full list of winners here: http://www.theexpatsurvey.com/tesca/
- WATCH: Aircraft and dozens of firefighters called to huge forest fire in Spain’s Andalucia - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44