HUNDREDS of thousands of people around the world marched in celebration of International Workers’ Day yesterday.
The day, which celebrates laborers and the working classes, is promoted by the international labor movement, socialists and communists, and occurs on May 1 every year.
Madrid saw union groups and workers shout slogans and wave flags adorning a picture of scissors inside the word ‘NO’ – a call to the government to stop cuts.
They chanted demands for higher wages, better conditions and more job security as, like many countries, Spain continues to battle economic uncertainty and high unemployment.
Spanish protesters also held banners reading “No one is illegal” and “No to TTIP,” in reaction to the EU’s immigration policy and the controversial transatlantic trade agreement with the US.
In Paris, people were arrested as riot police struggled to control the crowds, who were irate over a potential new bill that would see longer working hours introduced.
Violence also erupted in the Philippines and Turkey’s Istanbul, where one marcher was killed when he was hit by a water canon vehicle.
London saw thousands of protestors joined by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who denounced the advancements of far-right groups across Europe and spoke out against the rise of anti-semitism.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15