ESTEPONA was on the ball with golf while other resorts were still ‘putting’ the idea around.
Hence, the town boasts two of the oldest and best courses on the Costa del Golf.
Grand dames El Paraiso and Atalaya were established in the days when you could build a golf course just about anywhere you liked.
As a result, the quality of the courses is fantastic, built on wonderfully flat land with the mountainous backdrop of the Sierra de las Nieves.
It means you don’t lose so many balls and the courses are easy to walk around.
El Paraiso caters for every kind of golfer, boasting seven different types of membership and up to eight competitions a week for varying abilities.
It also has an active ladies’ section, with more than 200 members.
Atalaya Golf Club proudly dates back to 1968, when the design of the course was more important than fitting it between apartment blocks.
Eucalyptus trees, cacti and palms line the club’s two 18-hole courses – Atalaya Old and Atalaya New – the wide, easy-walking fairways meandering through fountains and flower beds.
As a members’ club open to guests, the course has a lively community feel and the clubhouse is always buzzing.
Although a younger course, founded in 1989, Estepona Golf is renowned for its superb putting surfaces and stunning sea views.
Featuring strong par 3s, it provides an excellent round for players of all standards, with an 18-hole green fee costing just €39 per person.
“ Estepona has the best golfing temperatures in Europe, with over 320 days of sunshine a year and an average of 22 degrees,” explains Jason Callow, of Estepona Golf.
“This coast is one of the best places in Europe for golf, due to the weather, the breathtaking panoramic views across mountains and sea, and of course the great choice on offer.”
• Contact El Paraiso on 952 883 835 or email email@example.com
• For Atalaya call 952 882 812, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• For Estepona Golf, call 952 937 605, or email email@example.com
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36
- Learn the slopes with Sierra Nevada’s dedicated English ski school - 31 Dec, 2018 @ 13:33
- Two Andalucia villages make it onto list of Spain’s seven rural wonders - 30 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00