SPAIN´S first openly gay referee has left football, insisting he “cannot take any more”.
Jesús Tomillero has made the decision just 14 months after coming out.
The final straw followed his decision to give a penalty during a match between Portuense and San Fernando Isleño last weekend.
A visiting supporter shouted at him: “That’s that poof who was on the telly,” adding, “you can stick the goal up your arse, you f**king poof”.
The referee said the worst thing was that “everyone in the crowd laughed”.
He resigned from the Andalucían football federation soon after.
Tomillero came out publicly last March after he presented a formal complaint against a kit man from Peña Madridista Linense in the Andalucia´s under-19 league.
The man was only given a nine-game ban and a €30 fine, despite screaming: “You’re a c***sucker and you take it in the a**, you faggot. I’ll wait for you outside,” in front of teenagers.
Local political parties in La Línea have shown support for Tomillero, and he says he has been backed by first division referees, but he remains disappointed that officials from the Andalucían federation ignored him after he decided to come out publicly last March.
He has presented a formal complaint about Saturday’s events, and hopes there will be meaningful repercussions this time.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15