SPAIN´S Eurovision Song Contest entry will sing in English for the first time, and many are not happy about it.
Barbara Reyzabal Gonzalaz-Aller, AKA Barei, will represent Spain after television viewers voted for her song ´Say Yay´in February.
Spain, who has not won since 1969, will hope to join the 26 other countries who have won singing in English.
Barei said English comes naturally to her when she writes her music: “It is much more international,” she said.
But director of the Royal Spanish Academy Dario Villanueva said the decision is proof of an “inferiority complex.”
The same academy´s Jose Merino said: “Give
n that Spanish is a language spoken by 500 million people, presenting a song in English is surprisingly stupid.”
“I understand that a country with a language that has a limited number of speakers would try to use a language known by many, but this is unacceptable,” he added.
Spain´s past entries also remain divided over the decision.
Edurne, who finished 21st last year, described the move as innovative and necessary to turn around Spain´s losing record.
But Remedios Amaya, who placed last in 1983, said the idea of singing in English “doesn´t even get into my head”, adding that the singer should be representing Spain not England.
English is the most successful language in the competition´s history with 26 victories, and this year only three of the 43 countries will have no lyrics in English.
French has won 14 times and Dutch and Hebrew three times each
The competition will conclude this Saturday in Stockholm.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03