A CSI fan has helped police solve a murder that was initially ruled as suicide.
The self-confessed crime series addict Carmen Moreno, decided to investigate after seeing how much evidence was ignored at the scene.
In particular, she collected tissues and underwear covered in blood that was left behind after police removed the body of the 32-year-old victim from a bench in Maria Luisa Park, Sevilla.
After putting the evidence in a plastic bag, mirroring what she had seen in her beloved crime shows, she took them to the police station.
“Whether it’s a suicide or a murder, you must always collect the evidence, whatever it is,” she said.
An autopsy later revealed the victim had died from internal injuries resulting from a rape.
Police were able to extract DNA samples from the evidence Carmen had collected, and a 46-year-old suspect was swiftly arrested.
“If it wasn’t for me, he’d probably still be on the loose,” Carmen added.
- WATCH: Aircraft and dozens of firefighters called to huge forest fire in Spain’s Andalucia - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44