LIONEL Messi’s tax fraud trial has begun in Spain.
The Barcelona and Argentina football star and his father Jorge, who manages his financial affairs, are accused of defrauding Spain of more then €4m between 2007 and 2009.
Authorities claim the pair used tax havens Belize and Uruguary to hide their earnings from image rights.
While the Hacienda is calling for heavy fines and prison time, they both deny any wrongdoing.
Leniency could be shown given that the amounts concerned have since been paid to the Hacienda voluntarily, and no bail was set because of the high amount of collaboration between the accused and the investigators.
Additionally, the public prosecution service recommended the case against Messi be dropped, as it is possible his father carried out the offence without him knowing.
Messi will appear before the court in Barcelona on Thursday.
The trial is expected to last three days.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15