SPANISH entrepreneurs are feeling the heat as they grow the world’s fiercest chillis in the Guadalhorce valley.
Pedro Gallardo and his partners are taking advantage of the booming chilli peppers market and have grown 39 different varieties on land in Cartama.
Their Mucho Macho has honed in on 20 varieties, which are being cultivated for the first time this year.
They plan to produce 40 tonnes in 2016.
“Hot chillis are in fashion, sales are booming, especially in the US and UK, China and Italy, which are the world’s biggest consumers,” said Pedro, “We are planning to sell the chillis fresh, dried and ground. We are also going to make spicy olive oils to be sold in Spain and abroad.”
Their hottest variety is the Carolina Reaper, which contains more than 2,200,000 Scoville units – the measure of how hot a chilli is. For an idea of scale, a Padron pepper measures 2,500 units.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16