SPAIN is host to five of the coolest Airbnbs in the world, according to a hot list compiled by The Times newspaper.
And no wonder – they certainly make the average holiday cottage seem .. well … boring.
Try out treehouse living in an Andalucian national park for size, or get closer to the Spanish sun with a rooftop rental perched among the chimney pots of Palma de Mallorca.
The collection features 20 of the globe’s coolest and most curious holiday lets for a mini break, with Spain beating off competition from feudal castles, quirky windmills and even an arctic holiday home in Iceland.
Join us on a whistlestop tour of Spain’s Famous Five.
Dome sweet dome
If living in a bubble is your ultimate definition of getting away from it all, this eccentric annex to the more conventional Los Banos de la Luz guest house will have you floating on air.
At number three on the list, the cosy dome takes camping to its giddy geodesic limits with mod cons include an outdoor shower, although the ‘Moroccan style toilet’ (aka squat) may be a little less convenient.
Tarifa’s beaches are just 6km away and, from only €26 a night, this quirky back-to-basics bivouac gives you attitude as well as value for money.
Swing the night away in Andalucia!
It’s the dream of every schoolboy and more than a few of their dads, although Mums may wonder how they’re going to get the shopping back from Lidl.
Perched three metres above the ground, this idyllic tree house in the heart of Sierra de Huetor National Park is accessible only by a hanging bridge.
Upscale living it certainly is. And with its own bathroom, cooking facilities and a swimming pool, having a back-to-nature experience is as easy as falling off a log. Eighth on the list and just €40 a night, you’d be barking (up the wrong tree) not to try it.
Not a case of have wheels will travel, but fans of glamping will be in their element in this restored 1950s-style Airstream bus. You won’t miss your creature comforts with a flat-screen TV, wi-fi, iPod dock and plunge pool all included in the price of just €100 a night. Placed 14 in the top 20, this luxuriously-appointed static mobile home is parked up amid the stunning landscapes of Alozaina and the Sierra de las Nieves, with the nearest traditional pueblo blanco just a 20-minute walk away.
Up with the eagles
If bird’s eye views set your heart aflutter this swish Barcelona eyrie will lift you up where you belong, where the (Spanish Imperial) eagle flies.
At number 15 on the list, the stunning penthouse overlooking the Plaza Real is a must-rent for next year’s Semana Santa processions, when you’ll have the best spectator seats in the house.
Stylishly-decorated, the loft-style pad boasts an open fireplace, floor-to-ceiling windows, a party-sized roof terrace and sleeps four, from €210 a night.
DIY gone mad or a holiday let that ticks every box? Make up your own mind about this rooftop refuge in Mallorca, made entirely from wooden shipping containers fused together in one quirky living space.
At 18 on the list, this fantastic feat of carpentry offers crate expectations for tenants with its central location and expansive views.
It comes with a kitchenette, small decked terrace and plunge pool, all just a 10-minute walk from Palma’s vibrant city centre, and sleeps three people from €100 a night.
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50