A SPANIARD who is the only Westerner working in North Korea has praised the reclusive state.
Alejandro Cao de Benos, from Barcelona, labelled its leader Kim Jong Un as ‘humble’ and said North Koreans are the ‘Latinos of Asia’.
The 42-year-old IT consultant is an honorary special delegate for the DPRK’s Committee for Cultural Relations with Foreign Countries.
“I feel Catalan and Spanish by birth and North Korean by adoption,” he said.
“I would say that the North Koreans are the “Latinos” of Asia. Compared to my Japanese, Chinese or Thai friends, Koreans show their feelings, like hugging family members and friends, crying, laughing and being quite expressive.”
Alejandro became intrigued with North Korea when he was growing up, and now visits the repressive regime twice a month as a part of his role.
He claims to receive a warm reception each time he visits.
Inspired to improve North Korea’s international image, Alejandro created the Korean Friendship Association in the year 2000.
It has since amassed official representatives across 28 countries, including Spain, Italy, Norway, Brazil, Germany and Russia.
He has met the previous leader Kim Jong II as well as his son and current leader Kim Jong Un, describing them as ‘servants of the people’ and ‘very humble and hardworking.’
He said: “While our leader Kim Jong Il had to pass the most difficult time in hard economic conditions and under pressure from the USA, he always had a smile on his face when he was among his citizens.”
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03